Give the scientific terms for the following:
1. The amino acid coded by the initiation codon in eukaryotes.
2. The region in the transcription unit where the RNA polymerase binds.
3. Intervening sequences which are removed from the mature RNA as they do not code for any protein.
4. A relatively new branch of biology which includes use of high speed computational devices for data storage, retrieval and analysis.
5. A type of satellite DNA used as probes in DNA fingerprinting.
State the contribution of the following scientists:
1. G. Gamow
2. H.G. Khorana
3. Messelson and Stahl
4. Alec Jafferys
5. Hershey and Chase
Expand the following abbreviations:
State the role of the following enzymes in DNA replication:
1. DNA polymerase
2. DNA ligase
Briefly list down the steps involved in the process of DNA fingerprinting.
Define the following terms:
3. Ori site
State whether the following statements are true or false.
1. Human genome has 6 billion base pairs.
2. Histone proteins are negatively charged.
3. Chromosome 1 was the first chromosome to be sequenced under Human Genome Project.
4. S - strain of Streptococcus pneumoniae used by Griffith for his experiment was virulent.
5. New strand of DNA is always synthesised in 5’ --> 3’ direction.
With the help of a diagram depict the gene regulation in prokaryotes by Lac operon.
Enlist the various salient observations drawn from the Human Genome Project about the human genome.
Match the columns A and B.
a. β- galactosidase
b. Stop codon
c. Start codon
d. Histone proteins
5. lac z
e. DNA fingerprinting
Who proposed the double helix model of DNA molecule? State its salient features.
What is meant by central dogma? Who proposed it?
State the three stop codons.
What was Griffith’s experiment through which he proposed his theory of transforming principle?
Who confirmed DNA as the genetic material? Give a brief account of the experiment involved.
Why is DNA a better genetic material than RNA?
Given below is a DNA sequence, study the same and answer the questions that follow:
3’ – GATTTCGTCAAGTTAACC – 5’
(i) Write down its complementary DNA sequence.
(ii) What will be its mRNA sequence if the above mention strand undergoes transcription?
(iii) State the number of amino acids formed if the mRNA undergoes translation.
Name the three regions that constitute a transcription unit. Depict it with the help of a figure.
Give a brief account of the post-transcriptional modifications in RNA molecule.
Give a few salient features of the genetic code.