Choose the correct options:
1. Which one of the following represents a scientific name correctly?
(a) Mangifera Indica
(b) Mangifera indica
(c) mangifera indica
(d) mangifera Indica
2. As one goes up the taxonomic hierarchy from species to kingdom, the number of common characteristics will:
(c) remain the same
(d) initially increase then decrease
3. The suffix –aceae is used to indicate which of the taxonomic category in plants?
4. The taxonomic category ‘Division’ in plants classification is equivalent to which among the following taxonomic categories in animals?
Name the following:
1. The specialised area having collections of living plants for reference.
2. The universally accepted principles of naming followed by biologists across the world.
3. The process by which things could be grouped into various categories based on some easily observable characters.
4. The term given to each statement in a key.
5. They provide the index to the plant species found in a particular area.
Fill in the blanks with appropriate words:
1. Lower the taxa, ___________ are the characteristics shared by the members of the taxon.
2. __________ proposed the binomial system of nomenclature.
3. __________ is the highest taxonomic category.
4. The keys are based on contrasting characters generally in pairs called __________.
5. ____________ contain information on any one taxon.
What is meant by binomial system of classification? Briefly explain.
What is meant by classification? What is the term given to the unit of classification?
Define the following terms:
Match the columns A and B.
1. Carolus Linnaeus
a. Plant specimens dried preserved
b. Systema Naturae
3. Botanical gardens
c. Highest taxonomic category
d. Collection of live plants
e. Lowest taxonomic category
State whether the following statements are true or false.
1. The species name always begins with a capital letter.
2. When handwritten, the scientific names should be underlined.
3. Consciousness is one of the defining properties of living organisms.
4. Taxonomical aids help identification, classification and nomenclature of plants and animals.
5. Herbarium sheets carry a label providing information about date and place of collection of plant specimen.
Name any four defining characteristics of a living organism.
The scientific name of Okra is Abelmoschus esculentus. What do the first word and the second word in the scientific name indicate? How would you write the scientific name if you were asked to write it by hands?
What rules one must follow while writing down the scientific names?
Name the two international organizations that sets agreed principles and criteria for naming the plants and animals respectively.
What is meant by biodiversity?
Scientific names are complex for an individual to remember yet biologists use them to name the organisms. Give a valid reason.
Arrange the various taxonomic categories in their hierarchial order.
How do zoological parks help us learn about the animal behaviour and their food habits?
What is a key? What is its role in identifying and classifying an organism?
Briefly explain what is meant by a herbarium?
How are plants and animal specimens stored in a museum?
What are botanical gardens? Name any two famous botanical gardens.